Well, it's that time again, and this year these are my favorites:
1. Celebrating the birth (and life, and atonement) of the Lord Jesus Christ. Taking time to stop and think about the miracles is truly the joy of Christmas. Seeing "The Forgotten Carols" and going to the temple provided these best celebration moments this season.
2. Spending time with family and friends. At our neighborhood parties we actually see the people we live near :) On Christmas Eve, we read (and act out: the kids all vying for the parts of the animals) the Christmas story from Luke and sing "The 12 Days of Christmas" with Parry actions.
3. Helping Santa Claus. His elves have all the fun.
4. Driving around and seeing beautiful lights and decorations.
5. Listening to Christmas music, even schmaltzy tunes up to a point (and then I turn the radio station).
6. Watching Christmas favorites like "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "A Christmas Story"
7. Eating Christmas treats. It never stops! Nielsons' Danish cakes, Arnolds' cake balls and chocolate-covered popcorn, Hunts' seven-layer bars, cupcakes from our neighborhood "Elf," sugar cookies we decorate, and white chocolate peppermint m&ms . . .
8. Eating a traditional Christmas turkey dinner with all the trimmings. We always skip this one on Thanksgiving, so we get it in on Christmas Eve.
9. Receiving Christmas cards and decorating our fridge with family and friends.
10. Watching kids on Christmas morning (they wake us up at 6 am, line up smallest to tallest, then charge to the tree and an unwrapping frenzy).