The Life and Thoughts of Robyn

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Paleo Challenge Food Journal

Paleo Challenge Food Journal, or, What Exactly Are the M&Ms Withdrawal Symptoms?

Crossfit Dixie is doing a 45-day Challenge, and I've heard about eating healthy for years but have rarely ventured into that territory. This time I decided to join the Challenge and just see if anything changes in my body, mood, running times, strength, or fitness. Hmmm, I'm glad I don't need to report the food intake from yesterday: my last Frazil for a while (after a 13-mile run, which was awesome, refreshing and mouth-staining for hours), then a baby shower filled with treats. Actually today was Fast Sunday (no breakfast or lunch, it's a church thing), so I didn't eat a single unhealthy thing until evening, when I loaded up on Double Stuff Oreos just to say good-bye. The real food journal starts tomorrow.

Here's how it goes: We're teamed up with a partner (Hi Mandy, you rock!). We got initial measurements, which is a little weird, but hey. I got leg 19", hip 30", and arm 10.25" (and totally would have pulled the measuring tape tighter, but hey again).  We do a timed partner workout to begin and end the challenge, to see if there is improvement. We also have to take totally unflattering before and after pictures for comparison. And there is a point system based on 3 categories: Eating 100% Paleo (that's fruit, vegetables, raw nuts and seeds, meats, seafood and NOTHING ELSE, but at least no measuring or limiting portions. Seriously, who is going to OD on celery anyway?) with one cheat meal allowed per week, Sleeping  7+ hours a night (AWESOME, I look forward to it!), and Working Out. Each partner tracks the three categories and records a score for each day: 5 points for doing all 3, 3 points for 2 out of 3, 1 point for 1 out of 3, and 0 points for terrible days. Only the LOW score of the two partners counts for each day.

I imagine I'll get all the points for sleeping and working out, which I love to do anyway. The eating part is the challenge for me. So, I apologize to Mandy in advance (and already offered to refund her Challenge entry fee) if I totally suck on the food points, but I'm going to try. I dutifully went to Costco and bought raw almonds, veggies, hardboiled and peeled eggs, and other such culinary delights. It's about 9 pm on Sunday, so, au revoir until Day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment